Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:01:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=E1nielisz_L=E1szl=F3?= <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hdd voltage

Thank you guys for the interest you bring solving my issue!=0A=0AActualy I =
noticed one thing for sure:=0AI have to hdd-s in my PC, an 80GB Seagate ATA=
 (the o.s. boot hdd) and one 1T Seagate SATA (only for storage), there were=
 no problems when I used just the 80GB neither with the 1T, I noticed only =
that I'm getting thouse reboots when I start to copy about more than 4-5GB =
from the 1T hdd to my laptop (on ftp). Maybe the hdd was too warm after cop=
ying that amount of data?=0A=0AOh...I'm drunk or something but I just notic=
ed that my 1T was not unmounted properly last week and I was doing only fsc=
k with the disk mounted so nothing was modified to the file system, now I'v=
e done an fsck -yf to the 1T (unmounted)...I got some blocks (about 300) re=
apaired. Maybe this produces the reboots, what do you think so?=0A=0AI also=
 done now an smartctl -l scttemp /dev/ad4 and I got the following result:=
=0A  86    2009-11-17 19:40    45  **************************=0A  87    200=
9-11-17 19:41    45  **************************=0A  88    2009-11-17 19:42 =
   46  ***************************=0A  89    2009-11-17 19:43    45  ******=
********************=0A  90    2009-11-17 19:44    45  ********************=
******=0A  91    2009-11-17 19:45    46  ***************************=0A  92=
 19:47    46  ***************************=0A ...    ..(  4 skipped).    .. =
 ***************************=0A  98    2009-11-17 19:52    46  ************=
***************=0A  99    2009-11-17 19:53    47  *************************=
***=0A=0A49 Celsius was the top of the tempature for this hdd, I think its =
normal.=0A=0AThank you,=0AL=E1szl=F3=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________________=
___________=0AFrom: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>=0ATo: Bill Moran <wmoran@=
potentialtech.com>=0ACc: D=E1nielisz L=E1szl=F3 <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com=
>; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0ASent: Tue, November 17, 2009 7:37:00 PM=
=0ASubject: Re: hdd voltage=0A=0AOn Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:27:20 -0500, Bill M=
oran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:=0A> Not all power supplies are creat=
ed equal.  Unfortunately, there's=0A> no government oversight on power supp=
ly ratings, thus a cheap 450W=0A> power supply might go unstable if it has =
to supply 200W for very=0A> long, whereas a good quality 200W power supply =
might be able to=0A> put out 450W for short periods reliably.=0A=0AThat's t=
rue. People want crap, they get crap. :-)=0A=0A=0A=0A> Additionally, are yo=
u sure your service power is good?  Even the=0A> best power supply will fai=
l if you're not getting 120V/60H at the=0A> outlet (or whatever voltage/fre=
q you're supposed to get in your part=0A> of the world).=0A=0AIn Germany, w=
e only get the purest power made of highest=0Aquality electrons, 230V 50Hz =
24/7/365. :-) Note that I'm=0Arunning this power supply for more than 7 yea=
rs now - the=0ASAME power supply.=0A=0A=0A=0A> Not a direct answer to your =
question, but hopefully some useful=0A> information to consider.=0A=0AThat'=
s right. If you have the chance, monitor your power=0Aoutlet, e. g. with a =
long term peak monitor or a scope=0Awith battery backed up memory, just to =
make sure the=0Arequirements of the PSU are met.=0A=0A=0A-- =0APolytropon=
=0AMagdeburg, Germany=0AHappy FreeBSD user since 4.0=0AAndra moi ennepe, Mo=
usa, ...=0A=0A=0A=0A