Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:59:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Lawrence S. Lansing" <lansil@rpi.edu>
To:        Rick Bischoff <bischoff@rickjr.org>
Cc:        stable-digest <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: S2460 problems

>       I have a S2460 Tyan Tiger motherboard
<snip>
>       However, when I installed FreeBSD onto either drive, the entire
>       system hard locks at random times.
<snip>

I experienced similar problems with my system.  I'm running a Tyan S2462
motherboard, dual 1200 MHz MP athlons, 1 gig of reg. ecc RAM, SB Live
value, Nvidia TNT2 Ultra, on-board dual-channel SCSI, on-board video.  I
believe I'm still running tyan's original BIOS release...and definitely
not the latest, at any rate.

The symptoms for me: the system would lock up *when idle*.  Generally, I'd
walk away from my computer for a minute, and I would come back to see the
console screen-saver frozen.  No amount of coaxing would revive the
system.  No kernel-panic or other useful error information.

I experienced these symptoms from the time I built my system (4.3-stable,
maybe 4.3-release) to 4.4-release.  Somewhere along the 4.4-stable branch,
the problem was apparently fixed, and my machine is now rock-solid, after
a build/installworld.

When I say the system locked up "when idle", I mean that I was able to
keep the system from crashing by maintaining a CPU load.  With bash, I
would do something like :

"cat </dev/zero >/dev/null&;cat </dev/zero >/dev/null&"

The resulting two processes would keep both CPUs occupied...and the
machine would be perfectly stable, even when left in this state for hours
on end.  I was able to build/installworld on the system to upgrade,
without any stability problems.  Another reliable way to prevent the
crashes was to disable SMP in the kernel.  With a uniprocessor kernel, the
lockups *did not happen*.

At first I suspected a hardware issue.  I yanked most of my hardware, with
the exception of the video card.  I know the soundcard was not the
problem.  The only thing I did not pull (and should have) was the video
card.

In short, if you're not running the latest 4.4-stable, I suggest you
upgrade.  I would be interested in hearing if maintaining a load on the
system (or using a uniprocessor kernel) keeps the machine from
crashing--it would give me peace of mind to know that I am not suffering
from any hardware problems.

I hope this helps.

-Larry Lansing