Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:40:25 -0800
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, current <current@freebsd.org>, Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, stable@freebsd.org, K?vesd?n G?bor <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Update is the binary update solution [Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006]

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:11:58PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:02, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:26:44AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > > How do you expect these two to be handled in a binary upgrade?
> > > I can't see how it's possible..
> >
> > Look around.  Every major commercial OS does it just fine.  Most of the
> > open source OSes do it just fine.  Debian had probably the easiest to use
> > system, and they've risen, owned the world and fallen all while FreeBSD has
> > been debating this issue.
>
> You appear to be misunderstanding what I said.
>
> I'm not arguing binary upgrades shouldn't be done but I'm suggesting that it
> isn't NECESSARY to version and package the base install to do it.

Whether or not the core is 'packaged' is an implementation detail.  I've
heard good arguements either way.  But some sort of versioning is required.
How do you know what to update?  How do you know if it has been updated
already?  Checksum analysis is the VERY long way around and incredibly CPU
intensive. And it requires an extensive database of all possible combinations.

> > > I don't think integrating it with the core OS (whatever that means) will
> > > magically fix this.
> >
> > If you knew what it meant, you would understand why it would help.
>
> Ah what a great explanation of what is meant.
> There are several people who don't know what is meant here and I haven't seen
> a decent explanation forthcoming.

I had explained it several times in other replies, and wasn't going to
repeat it again.  Especially not against a global wide open "I don't think
it will help" without any backing arguements or qualifications to the
statement.  It's just too broad to work with.

In short, not trying to be rude but would prefer to focus on solutions that
explain the 10k view.

> Just because I don't run jails doesn't mean I don't know the pain of upgrading
> a system.

Just because you've upgraded a system doesn't mean you understand or even
grasp the issues involved in managing jails.

You can tell me that driving a car should give you the experience to argue
riding motorcycles with me, but I'm going to have trouble taking you
seriously ;-)  (no offense intended, really... just trying to be clear)

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek