Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:06:34 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: after update to r292778 no interface ath0 and wlan0

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:49 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> El d=C3=ADa Thursday, January 07, 2016 a las 03:04:24AM +0100, Michael Gm=
elin
> escribi=C3=B3:
>
> > > wlans_ath0=3D"wlan0"
> > > ifconfig_wlan0=3D"WPA DHCP"
> > >
> > > (i.e. unchanged as they worked before); in dmesg the aht0 is shown as
> > > usual with:
> > >

> > See
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-August/042976.html
> and don't forget to run mergemaster to update rc scripts.
>
> A side question or remark on this: Why I do understand that certain
> files (like: /etc/group, /etc/motd, ...) must be overwritten or merged or
> ignored
> with the files from the new installworld, I do not understand why the
> script files in /etc/rc.d or /etc are not just overwritten with the new
> files;
>
> these files are not meant to be changed by the system admin, they are
> just new software;
>
>         matthias

I have no idea here you get this idea. The whole idea of /etc is to hold
files that configure a system that might be managed and modified by the
admin. You had better know what you are doing before editing these but I
have had many files in various systems that I customized and that was the
whole idea of the /etc directory at least back in BSD4.2 (NOT FreeBSD!).
The reason we have /etc/defaults is to have a safe, reasonable set of
defaults that should NOT be modified. If FreeBSD update or any other
mechanism simply over-wrote the files that had been modified in /etc, I
could no longer use them as I have NEVER had a system where at least a few
files in /etc were modified. Yes, that includes scripts.

/etc/rc.s are a bit less likely to be edited, but I used to have quite a
number that I modified on my personal systems to modify shutdown actions.
Still, I agree that this is a bit unusual and updating by default might be
reasonable.