Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2013 01:17:35 +0200
From:      Norman Khine <norman@khine.net>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom kernel installation

thanks for the quick reply

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:37:02 +0200, Norman Khine wrote:
> > hello,
> > i have a dedicated server from OVH and have updated freebsd to 9.1 and
> want
> > to enable IPFW in the kernel as this is not enabled.
>
> Why not use the module for this? For many years now, you
> do not need a custom kernel if you want to use IPFW (which
> _had_ to be compiled into the kernel in the past). Use
>
>         # kldload ipfw.ko

is it good idea to run this like this, would i have to do some settings, as
i don't want to be locked out of the system?

> and maybe
>
>         # kldload ipfw_nat.ko
>
> if it's just about having IPFW. Of course, if explicitely
> having it _in_ the kernel is your objective, unread this
> comment. :-)

yes i would like to see if i can compile a kernel on an OVH box for freebsd
i have tried, but there is always something that fails :-( so i wanted the
use the one by OVH and modify it for my use.

> > the way i updated the system was to copy /boot/kernel.old to
> /boot/GENERIC
> > then followed ch25
> >
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.htmlthis
> > went well and the system is up to date.
>
> So you did freebsd-update to update to 9.1-RELEASE.

yes

> > so i got the 9.1 sources and now in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf i have a
> > GENERIC file, but this is too generic, besides i don't have access to the
> > physical box.
>
> This file is what the GENERIC kernel (distributed with the OS)
> has been generated from. Use it as a template for your own
> custom kernel.

well, there was no /usr/src when the system arrived from OVH i downloaded
this from freebsd ftp site. so i will need to update it to suit my system
and i was just looking for a shortcut.

--
%>>> "".join( [ {'*':'@','^':'.'}.get(c,None) or chr(97+(ord(c)-83)%26) for
c in ",adym,*)&uzq^zqf" ] )