Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:21:41 +0100
From:      guru@Sisis.de
To:        Ron <iampure@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Special characters?

El día Monday, November 14, 2005 a las 06:05:52PM +0100, Ron escribió:

> Hi,
>
> How can I create the following characters: ïäéèçë (and others) in an
> X-session without copy pasting them from Gnome Character map? Thus I
> want to use the keyboard to use these characters in an easy way. Also,
> I'd like to bind keys to them myself. I have seen the deathkeys option
> in the gnome keyboard configuration, but that basically binds "e to ë,
> but I don't seem to be able to configure it myself.
>
> I have seen Xmodmap, but configuring that also takes a lot of time.
> Any other options?

I use a small script:

$ cat xmod.sh
#
# para español:
#
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x73 =  Mode_switch"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x39 =  n N ntilde Ntilde"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1a =  e E eacute Eacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x26 =  a A aacute Aacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1f =  i I iacute Iacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1e =  u U uacute Uacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x20 =  o O oacute Oacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x14 =  questiondown question backslash ssharp"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x0a =  1 exclam exclamdown onesuperior"
xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = less greater guillemotleft guillemotright bar brokenbar"

and this gives me the spanish chars by pressing, for example,
the WindowsKey + n ---> ñ (n with tilde);

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
Gruenwalder Weg 28g / D-82041 Oberhaching