Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 23:02:51 GMT
From:      joekiser@mindspring.com (Joe Kiser)
To:        "Xavier Tachyon" <tachyonx@thehelm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optimization

On Mon, 22 May 2000 17:56:54 +1000, you wrote:

>I am very interested in using FreeBSD on my network as a replacement for=
 Win2k and Win NT 4.0
.  I have found that the Windows environments are full of superfluous
functions and services.  What I need to know is if there is a FreeBSD
port that is optimised for i586 or i686 (preferably the latter).

>Regards
>Xavier Tachyon
>tachyonx@thehelm.com

You can recompile for 686 or 586, if you have installed the sources
for everything.  Once you have, edit /etc/make.conf and add the line:

CFLAGS=3D -ffast-math -pipe -march=3Dpentium -O3

That's about as good as you can optimize it.  This line is for 586
processors (Pentium, AmdK6, Cyrix6x86), so if you want to use it on a
686 (PentiumPro) change march=3Dpentium to read march=3Dpentiumpro.

Well actually, don't blindly type in this information.  Look at man
gcc to see optimization settings.

Then recompile everything (this will take a while).
Once the kernel has been recompiled (this is a separate step), reboot.

I suggest you read www.freebsddiary.org for more information about
make world, if you haven't already.