Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:44:17 +0200
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No root crontab in 4.6-RELEASE?

* Matthew Dillon (dillon@apollo.backplane.com):

> :* Jason Andresen (jandrese@mitre.org):
> :
> :[/etc/crontab vs. crontab -u root]
> :
> :> ??? More visible?  New people to the system can never find that file.
> :> Heck, I'm always forgetting where it is.  It wouldn't be so bad if
> :> it just weren't so inconsistent.
> :
> :See cron(8), second paragraph.

>     /etc/crontab should probably not be touched, nor should /etc/periodic,
>     or upgrading the system will be nightmware.

Did I state any claims on how I use roots crontab? Yes, I confess: I do
maintain modified versions of /etc/crontab, simply because I can put
them easily under version control. The same applies for almost every
configuration file in /etc. I do this since 4.0 and found mergemaster a
pretty fine tool for dealing with /etc/ during updates. But this is
completely irrelevant here.

The author of the message I replied to claimed that the existence
of /etc/crontab was a secret unveiled only to true wizards of OS.
This is wrong. See cron(8), second paragraph:

   "[...] Cron also searches /etc/crontab...".

The original poster obviously did not bother to read this document.
Failing to read documentation and posting false claims on a public
mailing list is a behaviour that drives me up the wall.

>     If you want to use the
>     periodic mechanisms you can create your own periodic directory
>     hierarchy ala /usr/local/etc/periodic, and if you just want to mess
>     with your own root crontab you should use 'crontab -e' as root.  If
>     you want to override the system default /etc/periodic you can create
>     your own /etc/periodic.conf (else the system uses the default
>     /etc/defaults/periodic.conf).

Matthew, please do not try to over interpret my message.

I am in fact a great fan of the periodic(8) framework and use it for
local maintenance scripts. But this thread is not about periodic(8).

>     It's simple.  See man periodic.conf.

I know how to read man pages, thank you.

--
Thomas Seck