Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:54:09 -0500
From:      Maxim Khitrov <max@mxcrypt.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf, binat, rdr, and one ip

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Da Rock
<freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> On 02/09/11 22:38, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Da Rock
>> <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> =C2=A0wrote:

>>> Thats exactly what I got too. Nothing definitive to go on. Apparently n=
ot
>>> very common arrangement. It *seems* to be working, but there are some
>>> weird
>>> quirks I can't quite account for. Hence the question to the guys who'd
>>> know... :)
>>>

>> According to pf.conf(5):
>>
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Evaluation order of the translation rules is depende=
nt on the type of
>> the
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0translation rules and of the direction of a packet. =
=C2=A0binat rules are
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0always evaluated first. =C2=A0Then either the rdr ru=
les are evaluated on
>> an
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0inbound packet or the nat rules on an outbound packe=
t. =C2=A0Rules of the
>> same
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0type are evaluated in the same order in which they a=
ppear in the
>> ruleset.
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0The first matching rule decides what action is taken=
.

>> The way I interpret this is that when an outside client tries to
>> establish a connection to one of your servers, the rdr rules will
>> never be evaluated, since the only public IP is translated with binat.
>> Outgoing connections shouldn't have a problem, since binat will only
>> match one local IP address and the others can be translated with nat
>> rules.
>>

> Allow me to prefix my comments with the fact that that is not what appear=
> to be happening.
>
> I read that as well, but my reading between the lines was that it is the
> _rules_ that are evaluated. So if I have a block all policy and then open=
 up
> what I need, then only the _ports_ specified for that binat machine are
> passed- the rest continue for further evaluation: the rdr rules are then
> assessed and the packets are passed accordingly.
>
> What I see works mostly; I have a binat machine for voip (asterisk), and =
the
> rest of the jumble gets passed to the rdr's or get blocked. However, wher=
e I
> come unstuck (and this is why I recreated my firewall rules) is I still
> can't get outgoing calls to my voip provider. It still eludes me... So I'=
> not sure if I'm 100% right or not.
>
> Hence my dilemma... I did get outgoing calls to work somewhere when my
> firewall rules were still not quite working, but I couldn't ring in! I ha=
ve
> used an ata and tried to figure out what I'm missing, but I still haven't
> got it figured yet.

> [...]

Are you using binat specifically for voip or is there some other
reason? I used to run a voip appliance behind m0n0wall (FreeBSD 6)
using regular nat and port forwarding without any problems. I'm not
familiar with asterisk, but I assume there is a way to restrict the
port range that is used for incoming and outgoing connections. Binat
shouldn't be needed for this if that's your only reason for going that
route.

- Max