Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:12:50 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 16:02:38 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2018, at 02:47, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > 4. I won't register at a "cloud" storage provider.
>
> Then I have to wonder why you have an iPad?

Is there a required relationship between "owns an iPad" and
"is using a cloud provider"?

Sidenote 1: It's not my personal iPad. I would probably never
buy one. :-)

Sidenote 2: I'm rolling my own "cloud" infrastructure for
decades, so no need for 3rd party services. :-)

> This is trivial to do, but I think you've excluded all the
> trivial ways to do it. However, given your constraints what
> I would do is setup a Synology with its "cloud" (as in, on
> your own device on your own network) and then sync that to
> your FreeBSD with rsync or something. Synology Drive is
> supported on iOS and works very well. I use it to move files
> from Dropbox to the Synology for processing.

This sounds far to complicated, given the assumption that you
can easily transfer files using a USB cable, with the source
device being compatible to the long-ago established mass storage
access standards. As I know now, this assumption is _wrong_,
due to the work Apple put into designing the internals of iOS.

> The one thing that is least likely to work is trying to get
> FreeBSD to talk to the iPad directly. Even if you get it to
> work once, it can stop working at any point since it is not
> at all supported.

As you can see from one answer in this thread, someone got it
working (even though with an iPhone, not an iPad, but with
iOS 11 as well), so it's at least worth the try.

Sidenote 3: Printing from the iPad to a printer with enabled
wireless interface worked quite nicely (via WLAN). But I will
not print all the images and then scan them! ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany