Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:21:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Primary or Logical Partition

> >      Can FreeBSD be installed on a Extended Logical Partition of a hard
> >      drive?  It seems like when I use FreeBSD fdisk to create a partition,
> >      it automatically creates a primary partition.  Is there a way to make
> >      it be a logical partition?  Thank you very much!
>
> DOS can not boot an OS from an extended partition.
>
> There are some boot managers that can do this.  I believe that the
> one that comes with FreeBSD isn't one of them.
>
> If you have the OS/2 boot manager, you may be able to make this boot.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Nope, Terry... The OS/2 boot manager didn't help when I tried to
do it here.  Dos has to be primary (it's stupid), FreeBSD 2.1.0 has to be
primary (I wish id didn't  -- anyone know if the snaps require it?).

OS/2 will work fine from a "logical" partiton.

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.