Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Clark <email@john.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba Setup

Hello,

I have browsed the archives, and read the man pages, but the Samba setup is
not as obvious as I suspected it would be.  It used to be so easy under
version 2.1.0-RELAESE, but I can't figure it out for the life of me now.  I
setup the smb.conf (curiously placed in /usr/local/etc) during install, it
seems fine...  Install did not place any entries in the inetd.conf like it
used to.  Here is what I have added to /etc/inetd.conf:

netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd

I do not see smbd or nmbd under ps -aux like I used to.  I assume that it
is running, but when I do a:

	smbclient -L net2 -I 192.1.1.44

I get:

	Session request failed (0,0) with myname=NET2 destname=NET2
	Unspecified error 0x0
	Your server software is being unfriendly

Anyone have some sage advice for me?  I am at an impasse at this point.
What is so strange is the total lack of messages pertaining to this subject
in the FreeBSD archives -- makes me feel really dumb, or lazy, or something.

Thanks,

John Clark
[email@john.net]