Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:34:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic mount root failed

> :Env:
> :
> :Yesterday I went to a friends house for installing a box from the freebsd
> :3.0-release cdrom (I have also the src and obj very current on another cd
> :to do a quick make installword :-).
> :
> :He has :
> :1 hd master (A) + 1 cdrom slave on primary ch.
> :1 hd master (B) + 1 zip atapi slave on secundary ch.
> :
> :on (A) there is a primary win98 partition. on (B) there is a fat partition
> :on wd2s1 and a freebsd installation on wd2s2a.
> :
> :The installation procedure was fine, but at the next reboot it can't mount
> :the root fs because it tries to  mount / on wd1s2a even if in /etc/fstab
> :there is wd2s2a ! I think it is  a problem related to the fact that the
> :cdrom make confusion on the routine that have to find the hd & slice number...
> :
> :everything was fine after adding a boot config with 1:wd(2,a)kernel
> :
> :Is it a known problem or I miss something ?
> :
>     Look at the disklabel for wd2s2.  If the 'disk:' field in the label
>     says wd1 that may be your problem.

It's amazing how many folk remedies people come up with for this one,
regardless of the number of times it's solved correctly.

So, for everyone bothering to read this, here it is again:

You have two IDE disks, wd0 and wd2.  You have two BIOS disk devices,
0x80 and 0x81.  FreeBSD can't tell that the disk you're booting from
(0x81) is actually wd2 without some help.

For 3.0 and earlier systems, you would use

 1:wd(2,a)kernel

at the boot: prompt.  For 3.1 and later systems, use:

 set root_disk_unit=2

at the loader prompt.