Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:45:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donating Copyrights?

> I'm not asking about copyright law, but about procedures regarding donating
> them specifically to the FreeBSD project.
>
> As an example, if I develop an application, kernel module, bit of
> documentation, advocacy flyer, etc and want to donate the copyright to that
> material to the FreeBSD Project, does FreeBSD have an established process for
> handling this?

The procedure is really simple - just stick a copyright something like
this on it:

 * Copyright (c) 1995
 *	Joe Blow.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer,
 *    verbatim and that no modifications are made prior to this
 *    point in the file.
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JOE BLOW ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS
 * OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL JOE BLOW OR HIS HOUSEPLANTS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, LIFE OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

And you're done.  That's literally all there is to it.  You don't need
to "assign the copyright away", you just need to use open licensing
terms like the above for us to be entirely happy with it.

- Jordan