Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:16:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

On 2000-Dec-04 19:20:49 -0800, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On 2000-Nov-30 21:47:45 -0600, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net> wrote:
>> >On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:29:15AM +1100, Peter Jeremy scribbled:

>> >PRE_SMPNG does not have the /dev/random seeding issue.
>> >
>> >You actually expected X to run well on a 486? :-)
>>
>> It used to run reasonably well (ignoring hogs like Netscape) before
>> Yarrow was added.
>
>	Have you tried updating to the latest -Current? All aspects of the
>entropy harvesting have changed significantly since PRE_SMPNG.

I upgraded to -current as of last Friday (this took most of the
weekend on my 486DX2-50, so I didn't do much experimenting).  The
entropy seeding during startup takes a couple of seconds - not a
problem.

X seems somewhat better, though the performance is still not
acceptable - the mouse movement will freeze for a second or so
occasionally.  (I just pull up a longish menu from fvwm and scan the
mouse up and down).

Overall, entropy harvesting in -current has improved significantly
since PRE_SMPNG, but IMHO there is still some way to go before its
acceptable on slower machines.

Peter