Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:34:20 +1100
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        Dennis Mathiasen <dennisma@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4-STABLE on 386?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:24:14AM -0500, Dennis Mathiasen wrote:
: Is it possible to install 4-STABLE on a 386DX with 8 Meg of memory?
: The machine has no cd-rom.
:
: It appears to work normally except that the network card won't answer
: a ping so it goes nowhere.

I'm running 4-STABLE on a 386sx with 8MB memory.  It does pppoe, ipv6,
ipfw/ip6fw, and very little else.

Because some of my IRQ settings were non-standard, I compiled a custom
kernel on a bigger machine, and used it to replace the kernel on the
first floppy, leaving the mfs on the second floppy alone.  This
assumes you already have 4-STABLE running on a larger machine.  (I
can't remember what version I was running when I last did this, but
I'm sure it was after I moved to 4-STABLE.  I didn't have any memory
problems on that install.)

I keep the kernel and userland updated by compiling on a bigger
machine, and only installing on the 386.

FWIW, I recently attempted to install NetBSD 1.5Y on the same machine,
and found the 'tiny' install kernel didn't like something about npx
(perhaps the missing 387?), and the normal install kernel ran out of
memory.  It seems with most free OSs these days (for appropriate
values of 'free') that the memory bottleneck is found at install time,
and you can usually get away with less memory after install than you
need to install in the first place.

An alternative you might need to investigate if memory size is an
issue with your custom kernel, is to move the disk into a box with
more memory, install there, including a custom kernel, and then move
the disk back to the 386.  Make sure your install doesn't touch the
disks on the bigger machine, unless you want it to.

Your network problems indicate you probably need to tweak the irqs in
your kernel, so a custom kernel is probably necessary.  It will also
have the advantage of giving you an opportunity to shrink your kernel
by omitting drivers for all the hardware you don't have, making memory
size (slightly) less of a problem.

--
Christopher Vance