Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:23:30 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named rejecting all kinds of serials

# olli@secnetix.de / 2002-09-28 22:51:08 +0200:
> Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> wrote:
>  > # olli@secnetix.de / 2002-09-28 15:48:00 +0200:
>  > > Bye the way, RFC 1912 is definitely recommended reading for
>  > > anybody who operates a name server or who is responsible
>  > > for zone files.
>  >
>  >     Heh, RFC 1912 (and the others) are definitely recommended reading
>  >     for anybody who operates the BIND name server,
>
> No, I disagree, it is recommended reading for everone who
> operates name service, no matter if it's BIND or Microsoft
> Domain Wizard or whatever it might be called.  Large parts
> of the RFC are not BIND-specific, including the handling
> of serial numbers, which is the topic of this thread.

    Not all content dns servers use zone transfers. Reusing my RFC 2821
    example: MTA configuration files format is not part of the SMTP
    protocol or any of the related RFC AFAICT, and distributing the
    configuration in failover setups thus cannot be either. I don't see
    why it should. In fact, DNS as defined by the relevant RFCs differs
    from other internet protocols like HTTP so much it's funny. HTTP
    doesn't dictate redundant servers, SMTP does neither, nor any other
    internet protocol. Redundant DNS servers don't provide any
    protection, either. Besides, what good is that clients can resolve
    your address using one of a few content DNS servers if the, say, web
    server whose address they resolve is down?

>  >     Your advice was actually very much to the point, Janine obviously
>  >     runs BIND. I just find it hilarious that RFCs are a viable way of
>  >     documenting an implementation (as opposed to a principle).
>
> BIND is the reference implementation of DNS, and I guess
> it is the most complete and correct one.

    Apache is the reference implementation of the HTTP protocol, yet the
    relevant RFCs don't cover distributing httpd.conf among one's
    redundant apache installations.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC