Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:51:40 +0100
From:      Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        Peter <peterk@americanisp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp takes a dump

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 08:40:33AM -0600, Peter wrote:
> So, i reboot to single user mode, same thing, recompile the kernel same
> exact thing. I don't know if this was happening before but I also noticed
> that sendmail is dumping on signal 12 also (don't really care about
> sendmail now, I need to get to my isp [at work now])  All I know that I
> did in the period it was working and now dumping (while connected via
> user-ppp) I did cvsup and I did src-all (trying to upgrade from
> 4.0-Release), I never recompiled that source all I did was
> reboot.  Question if it was cvsup anyway to get my ppp back? I sure can't
> continue to cvsup with no ppp (have not tried kernel pppd yet).  I have
> recompiled the kernel several times since then, still no go, if you need
> more information I'll put up gdb ppp ppp.core up (only later tonight when
> I get home and use linux to connect to net.

remake the world, this is needed after a source update (otherwise you end up
with applications making... invalid syscalls, since the kernel is not the same
as the one they were compiled for).
Making the world can be quite long or even very long, depending on your comp,
so you might prefer downgrading your kernel (by grabbing 4.0-RELEASE sources,
and compiling the kernel only) or doing a binary installation (eg by burning a
4.1.1-REL cd).
Instructions for `make world' can be found in
/usr/share/doc/handbook/makeworld.html, if you installed FreeBSD doc (it is
the default with all but the minimal install set, I think).

--
Chive.