Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BSDi our friends???

	Hello all,

	I have been always told that BSDi are our friends. I don't intend
	to start "BSDi sucks" threat, but I am hoping someone here can
	help me out. See, 4.0 BSDi just came out and on their web page
	they have a little chart comparing BSDi to different OSes. FreeBSD
	2.2.6 is one of them. The chart is at:
	http://www.bsdi.com/products/internet/40-qna
	Now lets analyze it:

When BSDi say BIY (Build it yourself), to they realize that with packages
you don't need to build anything? It is already there for you. Examples
include POP3/IMAP servers, etc. Should be changed to "3rd".

SSL2/SSL3: C2.net software runs just fine under FreeBSD, but BSDi doesn't
mention there is 3rd party availability of that product.

FrontPage server extensions: we run just fine with BSDi emulation. Should
be changed to "3rd"

Uptimes > 1 year: Now this section really pissed me off. Do they really
think there is NOT A SINGLE FreeBSD box out there that never had a year or
more of uptime? Geez.. so much for BSDi been our friends. Should be
changed to "Std" or "Yes"

IPv6: I though we have it in 3.0? Maybe not...

Initial Free Phone support: Doesn't WC provide basic phone support? I might
be wrong here however I am afraid also.

eMail support: N/A. Yes, there is nobody ever on questions@freebsd.org to
help people out. Should be changed to "Opt"?

Update support: Gee now. Let us see: ftp, cvsup, cvs, patches.. Why does
BSDi want to play dumb!??!

Base product pricing: $49. This is not the OS price. OS is free damn it.
This is the cost of 4 CDs. CDs aren't free you know.

	So, what do we do now? Should I send a nicer, kinder mail to
	someone within BSDi and point out their mistakes?

-- Yan