Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:19:20 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/NT shared disk?

Stan Brown wrote:

>         I am going to be geting a new laptop shortly. Presently on the one I
>         have I have 2 disks, one for FreeBSD, and one for Windoze. I will need
>         to run NT on the new one.
>
>         Cany anyone give me some words of wisdom as to dua boot FreeBSD/NT
>         machines? Which OS should I install first? What boot manager should I
>         use? Any gotchas here?

I currently triple boot 95/NT4/FreeBSD2.2.7. Install W95 (if you're
going to use that as well), then NT, then FreeBSD.

I use NT's boot mangler because you can add FreeBSD to it's menu, which
is detailed in the FAQ but basically you just dd(1) the first 512 bytes
of the FreeBSD slice into a file on C:\ (call it BOOTSECT.BSD for
example), then edit C:\BOOT.INI and make an entry for FreeBSD based on
the DOS entry.

If you want to use booteasy you'll have 2 boot menus to go through to
start NT.

It would probably be a good idea to have C:\ as a small FAT partition
rather than NTFS if you're only putting NT & FreeBSD on. This will give
you a partition that both OS's can access

HTH

>         Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    770-996-6955
> Factory Automation Systems
> Atlanta Ga.
> --
> Windows 98: n.
>         minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
>         16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit
>         microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit
>         of competition.
> -
> (c) 1998 Stan Brown.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com