Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:08:59 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB woes on freebsd-10.1-i386

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 21:14:08 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
> 1) My Canon PIXMA MG2470 printer does not print. Although a) all
> necessary ports are installed,  b) print/cups-base has been built with
> libusb, and c) the printer is recognized immediately by the system the
> moment it is switched on, the list of local printers in CUPS
> browser-based configuration is empty. Further, the printer - when
> switched on - shows up at an indeterminate location /dev/usb/2.X.0 (X
> could be 3 or 5 or 6), despite explicitly being hooked to /dev/usb/2.6.0
> in /etc/devfs.rules

Canon printers (or multifunction devices, if that matters)
are sometimes really problematic. Have you been able to
perform the usual chores of installing a printer with CUPS
(web interface)? Maybe the PPD can help, but of course
file permissions matter a lot, too. If the device name
tends to change, you can have devd execute a command to
create a symlink (for example /dev/printer@ -> /dev/usb/2.3.0)
depending on match "vendor" "0x????"; and match "product" "0x????";
for your printer.

Note that there's a separation of "devfs for device files
existing at startup time" vs. "devd for device files
being created dynamically".

> I am attaching to this message a zip archive containing :
>
> output of 'uname -a'
> list of ports installed
> latest log of dmesg
> copy of /etc/rc.conf

The mailing list does strip ZIP archives. You can add
text files, or trim the command output to the relevant
segments and post them as message text for easier use.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany