Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:21:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EUC locales and XF86 3.2 for 2.2R?

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Choi Jun Ho wrote:

> 1. EUC locale support?

> moderato:~% env LANG=C perl
> ^D
> moderato:~% env LANG=ko_KR.EUC perl
> warning: setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") failed.
> warning: LC_ALL = "(null)", LC_CTYPE = "(null)", LANG = "ko_KR.EUC",
> warning: falling back to the "C" locale.

I'm just getting my feet wet in the FreeBSD l10n/i18n stuff, but
I have discovered that to use an EUC or UTF locale, you must link
with -lxpg4.  Digging through the mailing list archives, I found
a some messages the decision was made to remove >8-bit locale
support from libc, but I didn't follow up and find the discussion
of why.  Could anyone involved in the decision provide a quick
summary?

On a related note, is anyone looking into implementing the
Normative Addendum 1 to ANSI C?  (multibyte/wide character
support, see http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/na1.html for details)
I made a (very) brief start but really don't have the time right
now to work on it.

-john