Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:06:20 -0500
From:      "Jason" <jes@hal-pc.org>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ELF preparation step 2 done

If you refer to sys.mk you will find that bsd.own.mk is included before
/etc/make.conf, as such when building for a i386/elf target and defining
BINFORMAT=elf in /etc/make.conf you miss a critical test in bsd.own.mk:

.if ${BINFORMAT} == aout
LIBDIR?=        /usr/lib/aout
.else
LIBDIR?=        /usr/lib
.endif

thus your elf libraries are installed by default into /usr/lib/aout. I don't
see any complications, but then again I'm no makefile god, but a solution
may be to move the .include of /etc/make.conf above the .include of
bsd.own.mk in sys.mk.

This would further make.conf by letting it override settings in bsd.own.mk,
without the side effects of tests to set other settings in bsd.own.mk, as
seems one of its intentions. Otherwise you may want to put LIBDIR=/usr/lib
or /usr/lib/elf in your make.conf.

-Jason-