Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:09:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Geff Hanoian <boing@boing.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsdboot.exe can't load elf kernels (flash cards off topic)

In message <387E1075.6ADE62A5@softweyr.com> Wes Peters writes:
: Modern flash chips support on the order of 1,000,000 write cycles, so this
: is not such a concern anymore.  There is no reason why we shouldn't put
: a filesystem on a flash card.

We weren't talking about modern flash cards :-).  These flash cards
have 10,000 to 100,000 write cycles per page.

: A better choice might be the flash disk cards from SanDisk and others,
: since they do have an ATA interface and look like a small ATA drive
: to the pccard code.  Unless the linear flash cards are a LOT less
: expensive, there isn't a lot of reason to do all the extra work.

That's why I've done support for the ata flash cards, but haven't yet
done the linear flash cards. :-)

Warner