Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:40:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: diskless boot failures with PXE 2.0 boot, diskless X11 Termi

On 31-Oct-00 O. Hartmann wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, John Baldwin wrote:
> All right, I saw I was false in using bootp ... :-(
>
> Now I set up a small DHCP server configuration with one
> experimental client. Starting bootprocess over LAN with
> PXE NIC works, it receives it's IP, netmask, gateway IP.
> But when starting TFTP (I think now we are to boot any kind
> of bootloader) I have no glue what's going on ... :-( When
> using bootp previously I used a partition /usr/vol1/diskless
> in which I let tftpd 'chroot' (by obtaining -s in inetd.conf),
> there I created tftpboot and rootfs. In tftpboot I installed as
> suggested some small files like 'cfg.10.0.0.1' for booting the
> apropriate station by IP. Well, all things seems to be different
> from the traditional bootp/tftp configuration when using DHCPD.
>
> It seems that it is not very common to use FBSD as diskless
> X Terminal that way. I can not find any suggestions how to do
> a full install, I found a lot of fragments, a mixture fo DHCP
> and bootp.

Use a NFS root, which is the easiest way.  I did this for the terminal room at
BSDCon.  For one thing, read the pxeboot(8) manpage, which explains some of
this.  Also, for an example of using PXE (though not one which entirely applies
to your situation) look at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~alfred/pxe/ which covers
using PXE to install on boxes.