Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:48:38 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

At 12:23 PM -0700 4/29/98, Conrad Minshall wrote:
> Terry:
> > If the guy with the highest working set has a SIGDANGER (I prefer
> > naming like SIGLOWMEM or something more descriptive of what the
> > signal actually indicates) handler registered, and pages do not
> > become available, then shoot the next highest working set guy,
> > and so on.
>
> SIGLOSWAP then?.  I chose SIGDANGER as I thought there might be a more
> general purpose use than just for critical lack of paging space.  The
> generalized SIGDANGER was intended to mean "The system is in danger of
> crashing very soon.  Processes, consider yourself warned."

If what we're implementing is basically the same as AIX's SIGDANGER,
then I'd just as soon call it SIGDANGER.  Some of the things I write
need to run on multiple operating systems (including AIX), and it'd
be nice if intelligently-written freebsd programs would just happen
to do the same things when ported to another system which supports
those things.

[of course, the first question is whether freebsd ends up with
something which really is about the same as SIGDANGER.  If we
end up which works differently, then it'd be better to use a
different name for it]

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute