Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:08:42 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@bsdwins.com>, Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cp -d dir patch for review (or 'xargs'?)

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
> Or maybe something to indicate where the list of arguments
> should go in a command.  Hrm.  Let's say '-Y replstr' or
> '-y[replstr]' (no blank after -y).  If no [replstr] is
> given on -y, it defaults to the two characters '[]'.
> Then one might do:
>        cat big_file_list | xargs -y cp [] target_directory

This is a great idea!  I'm willing to implement it if nobody else
wants to.

> you're trying to address.  On the other hand, the man page
> for 'xargs' on FreeBSD says:
>
>       The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2
>       (``POSIX.2'') compliant.
>
> so I don't know how we go about adding options to it.  On
> the other hand, that same issue is faced by adding options
> to 'cp', as there is a similar claim made in cp's man page.

I don't think it's a problem.  We're adding new options here, not
changing--sometimes known as breaking--what already exists.  I'm
pretty sure that the standards don't say anything to the effect of,
"You must support this and nothing else."  That'd be rather silly.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org