Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:04:04 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial console drops dead

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:46:07AM -0500, Normand Leclerc wrote:
> I am having an annoying problem with my serial console.  After a while
> (1 or 2 days) it drops dead.
>
> I have configured flags 0x30 for sio0 on FreeBSD 4.5 on my PC164sx
> computer.  The serial terminal is a computer that is not always turned
> on.

You usually get a BREAK condition if the console server is turned off.
Most developers have DDB with BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER compiled in and don't
power off the console terminal.
I wouldn't be surprised if noone ever tested your situation.

> I tried to reanimate the console with an init q command but nothing gets
> to the terminal.  Anyone has this problem?  I didn't change anything in
> the gettytab either.

init q only rereads /etc/ttys but doesn't change console situation.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de