Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:11:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to route a single box into a subnet

Oliver Fromme wrote,
> Hello,
>
> We have a /24 subnet (let's call it 1.2.3.0), and for some
> technical reason there is one machine (1.2.3.55) that has
> to be routed through another machine (1.2.3.44).
[snip]

I think by far the easiest thing to do for this is to just set up the
FreeBSD machine to be an Ethernet bridge.

Forget routing all together. A co-worker wanted to have one machine
running FreeBSD and one Windoze at work. There is one RJ-45 plug in
the wall and rather than waste a hub on him, I just slapped a second
NIC in the FreeBSD box (actually the old 10-BaseT one left over from
the upgrade to 100-BaseT), put a crossover between it and the Windoze
machine, then recompiled the kernel with bridging. Viola! As far as
the Windoze machine and the rest of the LAN knows, its connected all
on the same wire. Sounds just like your problem.

HTH.