Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:34:42 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Etay Meiri <emeiri01@shell2.netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dset command

Etay Meiri wrote:

> I was finally able to get my pnp modem working with freebsd (release 3.1)
> using the commands available after you boot the kernel with the -c flag.
> Now I want to make that parmanent.
> I checked the manual page of pnp and it says to use the dset command
> (which is located in section 8 of the manual pages) to write the settings
> to the kernel symbol table. However, such command is not available. There
> is also no manual page of it (in section 8 or anywhere else). what am I
> missing?

From a post by Mark Owens recently:

From the errata:

o  Kernel change information is not saved in the new kernel,
even
   though this is claimed to work in the docs.

Fix: The change information is being written out, in fact, but
to the
wrong location.  move /kernel.config to /boot/kernel.conf (if
it
exists, otherwise there were no changes to save) and add the
following lines to /boot/loader.rc:

        load /kernel
        load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
        autoboot 5

This will cause the kernel change information to be read in
and
used properly (and you just learned a little about the new
3-stage
loader in the process, so the exercise wasn't a total loss).

Thanks to Mark for that one.

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I
installed FreeBSD."