Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:50:02 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   WARNING: Parallel CVSup sessions are frowned upon!

One of the CVSup mirror site maintainers has complained to me that
a person has been making 5 simultaneous connections to his server,
thereby shutting out other innocent users from the system.  This is
not only incredibly anti-social, it is also kind of dumb.  Normally, 5
simultaneous updates won't run significantly faster than 5 sequential
ones.  So people, don't do this!  You know who you are.

Whether you manage a single machine or a group of them, please run
only one update at a time from the FreeBSD mirrors.  If you need to
update multiple machines, do them at different times.  Or better yet,
install the cvsup-mirror port and update just one "master" machine
from a FreeBSD mirror.  Then update your other machines from the
master.

Every connection is logged.  We have all the information we need to
blacklist the offenders if necessary, thereby denying them access to
the servers.  Please don't force us to take that step.  Be sensible
and be considerate.

Thank you.