Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 14:18:07 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 2:03 PM Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm a system architect/Sr System Administrator, comp sci degree, 30 years
> experience, etc.
>
> I have to make a living.  I do so with RH/CentOS etc.
>
> Honestly, if people truly understood the difference between BSD and Linux
> (full OS vs kernel) and all the nuances as well as the philosophy, I truly
> believe that there would be a large migration to FreeBSD.  Most of the
> largest and most successful companies in their respective fields use it.
> (Apple, Netflix, NetApp, etc)

A very important distinction needs to be made here all the above (including
your use as sys/netadmin) are essentially  end user applications and thus
there revenue is derived from means other then selling the code they
develop.    Apple is first and foremost a hardware company, Netflix is a
content company, NetApp sales raw disk space (btw I should thank them for
bhyve).

As a *programmer* I make my living from writing code and the fundamental
problem with GPL is it forces me to give away the one way I make a living
(I do not sell hardware, IT services, movie rentals, etc.).   How is it
fair under any possible definition of fair to force me to give away the
thing I need/use to survive?