Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2008 00:11:50 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting up gmirror

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:34:53PM -0600, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> I've just finished setting up a new web server, and if I get my DNS
> stuff correct hopefully an e-mail server too, for my church.
> Originally, the intention was to use RAID1 on the MOBO.  However, the
> RAID controller on the MOBO consistently tried to make the SATA DVD
> drive part of the RAID array and wouldn't boot the FreeBSD boot disk.
> So, at the suggestion of another respondent here, I've decided to use
> gmirror.

Stay away from BIOS-level RAID.  If you want evidence of why, especially
with regards to Intel MatrixRAID, here you go:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting

And yes, these are FreeBSD problems, but the severity is so high that
there is a very good chance you will lose your data in the case of a
failure.  Simply put, don't risk it.

Stick with gmirror or ZFS, unless you have reason to use ccd (it's old,
but it does still work).