Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 09:44:28 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getty Problems

I don't normally subscribe to this list, so would you please reply to me
directly.

I just upraded from 2.1.6 to 2.2.1 using the CDROM shipped by Walnut Creek
CDROM.  Getty repeats forever, (actually getty dies and init restarts it and
sleeps for 30 seconds after too many gettys have been started).  When getty
dies it prints the message "inappropriate ioctl for device /dev/ttyv0".  It
does the same for all ttyv? devices.  I can log in for 30 seconds but get
killed when the next getty starts.  My ttys file has the following

#
#       @(#)ttys        5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
# This entry needed for asking password when init goes to single-user mode
# If you want to be asked for password, change "secure" to "insecure" here
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
# Serial terminals
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
# Pseudo terminals
ttyp0   none                    network
ttyp1   none                    network
.
.
.
ttySv   none                    network

It does this with the generic kernel shipped with the CDROM and a custom
kernel that I normally use (which delete devices I don't have).

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."