Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 08:53:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automounting CD-ROMs

I think this discussion has gotten out of hand. The problem is simple:
1) if there's a cd in the drive it should mount
2) if there's not a cd in the drive it should not get mounted.
3) under no circumstances should either (1) or (2) cause the system
   boot process to screw up, and leave users hanging as it does now.

For what it's worth, Linux gets this right. This is exactly the sort of
thing that gets users unhappy, and when they're unhappy, they'll move to a
system that makes them less unhappy -- in most cases, that will be linux.
That alone should spur some thinking. But we don't need to write mediad
for freebsd to get this fixed.

ron

Ron Minnich                |Like a knife through Daddy's heart:
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |"Don't make fun of Windows, daddy! It takes care
(609)-734-3120             | of all my files and it's reliable and I like it".