Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:34:14 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Brian John" <brianjohn@fusemail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: need help setting up wireless on my computer

Heh, I was just planning on getting one of those $3.00 cards too.
Fortunately it's going into a laptop that right now is only
running Win2K.  I do have a FreeBSD laptop though, I'll have
to try it out and see what happens.

As a general rule when troubleshooting wireless, START with your
base unit settings with WEP OFF, and SSID broadcasting ON, and
ALL filters (mac and otherwise) turned OFF on the transmitter.

Once you have packet flow going that way, then you can start turning
on the security options ONE AT A TIME, testing each time to make
sure your not breaking anything.

I guess it would be too much to ask that you at least asked the
salesdroid if it worked with FreeBSD?  Of course we know they
cannot compute a non-Windows question at the current time, but
it does them good to be told at least about the -existence- of
other operating systems. ;-)

And of course, keep in perspective that this is only a $2.99
device, and it's asking a bit much for it to work flawlessly
at all, let alone under Windows, and let alone under FreeBSD.
If you can't get it working, don't get all pissed off like
certain people on this list who know who they are.  'nuff said.

Good luck and if you get it working, let the list know.

Ted