Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2016 02:38:54 +0200
From:      Alphons van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 11.0 disable fortune freebsd-tips

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

Ernie Luzar wrote:

> In 11.0 user logins now get freebsd-tips.

Maybe I've missed something, but that doesn't sound new to me at all. The
fortune cookies have been in the default user environment for pretty much
as long as I can remember.

> Is there a simple way to disable this feature?

If nothing spectacularly new happened (i.e. if in this matter FreeBSD 11
is no different than earlier versions), one can disable the fortune
cookies in any of the following ways.

a) Remove the user's ~/.login and/or ~/.profile files if there's nothing
else of note in there.

b) Modify the user's ~/.login and/or ~/.profile files and comment out the
fortune line.

c) Remove and/or rename the /usr/games/fortune binary.

d) Don't install fortune(6) in the first place.

e) When adding users, do not copy the default environment into the user's
home directory.

f) Modify the default environment for new users. It's in /usr/share/skel.
Remove or modify the files dot.login and/or dot.profile in there (see
options a and/or b).

Please note:
 * options a and b affect existing individual users;
 * options c and d affect all users;
 * options e and f affect newly created users.

HTH,

Fonz

--=20
A.J. "Fonz" van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
mailsig: Help! I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory.

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh--