Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:05:48 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SV (was TkDesk will not start as normal user)

Previously:
>> FreeBSD-4.1 Release, XFree86-4.0.1, TkDesk-1.2 pkg.
>>=20
>> TkDesk starts fine if started by root, but as user john (wheel & =
network)
>> no go.  As root or as john su'd it creates a directory in /tmp as
>> tkdeskPID where PID is the number of the tkdesk process.
>> (/tmp is a symbolic link to /usr/tmp)

The fix is to (as root) chmod go+w /var/tmp !

The error causing the problem was not generated by tkdesk.  Further back
in the error messages was:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error: Cannot open "/var/tmp/server-0.xkm" to write keyboard =
description
> Exiting
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

X started ok regardless.  Fvwm would start ok if required, but Tkdesk =
picks
up the error with (presumably) the following code:

# Temp dir to use by this TkDesk:
set tkdesk(tmpdir) /tmp/tkdesk[pid]
set err [catch {
    exec rm -rf $tkdesk(tmpdir)
    exec mkdir $tkdesk(tmpdir)
} errmsg]
if {$err} {
    puts stderr "TkDesk: Couldn't create temp dir $tkdesk(tmpdir)"
    puts stderr "TkDesk: errmsg: $errmsg"
    puts stderr "TkDesk: Exiting"
    exit 1
}

The exit 1 brings down the X server.

I'm quite surprised by this behaviour.  It's my fault for not clearing/
noticing the X error, but shouldn't tkdesk clear any previous errors
before the catch, or something?

John.