Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:27:47 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   $CVSROOT

At 01:24 PM 4/3/00, you wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>
> > Ben Williams wrote:
> >
> > >    Just out of curiosity why are all the examples I ever see re
> > > setting environment variables in bash listed as:
> > >
> > > VARNAME=value; export VARNAME
> > >
> > > instead of:
> > >
> > > export VARNAME=value
> > > ?
> >
> > export VARNAME=value is supposedly not guaranteed to work in all
> > Bourne-type shells.
>
>         It doesn't work in "classic" Bourne shell (like the one found on
>Sun) but as long as the script you are working on will only be run in
>bash, or on a modern Bourne shell system (like freebsd) then there is no
>reason not to use it yourself.
>
>         If on the other hand the script is being used for teaching or
>illustration purposes, it's better to use a syntax that's guaranteed to be
>portable across platforms.
>
>Doug

Looking in the Lehey book, while working on a problem of my own, I noted
that (pg 284-etc) a reference to $CVSROOT  ... in a normal structure, and
needing to do a "make world" I discovered that I don't have a CLUE what to
set this variable TOO, although now that I am using bash and the above
notes, I at least have a clue as to how to set it when I know what it is
supposed to be.......  thanks for solving 1/2 the puzzle.. care to help
finish it?
Ryugen, that "Old Frog" hisself
Ryugen@palaver.org