Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:59:32 -0500
From:      "rob copsey" <robc@execpc.com>
To:        guinn@mail.utexas.edu
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3com pc card & thinkpad 600

> hi all,
>
> i've got an old thinkpad 600 with a 3com 10/100/56k cardbus pc card in
> it (model 3c3fem656).
>
> have installed freebsd 4.9 and it works fine and all, but whereas the
> system found/configured the built-in modem (which i'd rather it hadn't
> done, actually) -- it did not recognize the pc card.
>
> ...so i've got ppp bound to the internal modem, but no ethernet.
(it's a
> home networked system)
>
> 1) what should i do to try and get the 3com card working? (or will
>it?)

Check the Hardware notes, pose the question of compatability to
the questions list if you're still unclear. Compatible pccards
are cheap and readily avaliable so this may not be worth a
struggle; I purchased a linksys for 5.00 USD 9 months ago.

You may find that reading the handbook will help you to configure
pccards, there are changes that need to be made to various "rc.*"
files to ensure that pccards are properly identified. In addition
to this, certain measures should be taken to initiate the
configuration of a network pccard interface. In short, the FreeBSD
documentation is the best you'll find anywhere; complete with
examples and humor, the people that wrote the handbook are very
proud of it and rightfully so.

> 2) is there a bsd equivalent to solaris' prtconf command or linux'
lsdev
> or kudzu or the like? -- ie, to see if i can see the card on the bus?

"dmesg | more" gives the verbose from init, basically detected
hardware and pertinent info. Read all about it and other useful
commands in the handbook.

> 3) i've figured out things like ifup/ifdown aren't the same as w
redhat,
> is there a similar facility in freebsd?

"ifconfig" does this, Read all about it and other useful
commands in the handbook or man pages.