Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:26:13 +0100
From:      Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: timecounter and Hz quality in kern RELENG_6

Hello,

thanks to Oliver and Michael for explain me the "mechanics"
behind timecounter and "Hz quality".

I have send the question, why i have to wonder about
different IRQ-Counts but same HZ. It is really thaat HZ on
both machines is the same.

I have only knowed the old behavior.
I set the HZ over Options HZ in my Kernelconfig,
and then i could see that the IRQCount's on clk are alwas
the same value as HZ +- a few tics.

So that i have thinked ( and feeled on busy machines) that
the IRQ-work is more smooth and they are less holes in
responsitivity if the HZ is going to an Value > 1000.
So i have alwas set HZ to 2000 on every machine.

If i have the answers and the "mechanics" behind timecounter
and "Hz quality"  right understand, so i have no more modify
the HZ Value to become an smooth polling of the interupts.
if i be right the smooth behavior comes with the calculation
from "Hz quality". Please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks to all
and

best regards

michael