Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:36:23 +0300
From:      "Dimiter Ivanov" <erazorbg@gmail.com>
To:        "ree yhu" <tonnetit@yahoo.it>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to set the encryption key for my wireless nic

On 10/19/06, ree yhu <tonnetit@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi Stephen, Hi Dimiter,
> Thank you, you are very friendly :-)
>
> Unfortunately it still not work:
> ~~~ ~~~
> ifconfig ndis0 ssid SM-Apt10 authmode shared wepmode
> on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1122334ac
> ~~~ ~~~
> everithign seems fine from the ifconfig output but
> still when I try to use dhcpclient or I assign an IP
> address I can not ping the gateway.
> :-(
> :-(
> And when I scan with "ifconfig ndis0 scan", I still
> see the question marks...
> ~~~ ~~~
> SSID            BSSID              CHAN RATE  S:N
> INT CAPS
> SM-Apt10        00:04:e2:e9:0c:e8    1   54M 159:0
> 100 EP   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
> ~~~ ~~~
> I begin to think the problem is related with my cpu:
> it is a AMD turion 64bit and my freeBSD is 6.0 for 386
> (it starts only is "safe-mode" ...).
>
> Yesterday I have installed FreeBSD 6.1 for amd64 (I
> have only to disable acpi here... ) but now the
> situation is worse because my driver for bcmwl5
> (broadcom wireless nic), even if succesfully converted
> by ndisgen, does not "triggers" the ndis0 interface
> and probably it is because the original driver is for
> 32bit.
> :-(
>
> Again, Thank you for your help,
> If you have any other suggestion. You are welcome!

> Poco spazio e tanto spam? Yahoo! Mail ti protegge dallo spam e ti da tanto spazio gratuito per i tuoi file e i messaggi
> http://mail.yahoo.it

Sorry i don't know anything about 64bit CPU-s, can't help you there,
see if there is an 64bit drievr available from the manufacturer.
Or try working using 32bit mode, of the CPU, i believe that is possible.
About the questionmarks you see from the scan, i don't think they are
problem, since i see them too but the card is working normaly.
put this in you rc.conf
ifconfig_ndis0="DHCP"
reboot and then try to associate to the AP.
Also get your self familier with this chapter from the handbook :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking.html
See if you are not missing something.
And remember that the Handbook is your best friend.
It is mine ;]
Good luck!