Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:19:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      kargl@crosby.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl)
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   950112-SNAP floppy bug

Jordan,

I think the new install is a little fubar at the moment.
I had two serious problems upgrading from 1.1.5.1 to the
2.0-950112-SNAP.

I started with a existing DOS/1.1.5.1 system where the DOS
partition was 125 MB and 1151 partition was 396 MB.  I decided
to reduce the DOS space to 95 MB and use the freed space for
a /pub partition under 2.0.  So, booted DOS; fdisk /mbr (replace
os-bs); fdisk delete primary DOS (125MB); create new primary
DOS (95MB); exit fdisk; re-install DOS.  This leaves a ~30 MB
hole between my new DOS partition and the old 1151 partition.
Now, boot boot_144.flp; go to install; choose fdisk;
edit to create new 2.0 partition (426MB);
write partition, write new boot blocks; exit.  All is well
up to this point.  I go to disklabel and find that the program
reads my old 1151 disklabel.  No problem I can edit the
disklabel.  I enter the approriate values (in MBs) for my
2.0 partition, but I notice that the DOS portion of the disklabel
contains the old 1151 description of 125MB starting at sector
32 and ending at 255xxx.  This overlaps the 2.0 partition which
starts around 195xxx. I go to edit the DOS portion of the disklabel
and it refuses to alter the DOS description.

So, I go back to fdisk and read the partition info.  The info is
correct.  I go to disklabel, try to edit, but it still claims I
have a 125MB DOS partition.  Boot DOS; delete non-DOS partition.
Boot boot_144.flp go through install procedure; fdisk create
2.0 partition; go to disklabel; the dos description is correct.
Label the disk and continue on my merry way.

Anyway, it appears that the disklabel portion of the install does
not check the disk partition table for valid partition info if it
finds that the disk has previously been label.  My 30MB hole seems
to confuse the process.

The second problem concerns FTP installation and extractions of the
various distribution.  I retrieved bindist from ftp.freebsd.org and
extracted.  Everything goes fine.  I answer "yes" to delete /usr/tmp/bindist.
I, then, deselect bindist and mark manpages.  The files are retrieved,
the checksum compute, and the GUI screen reports manpage distribtion is
being extracted.  Well, I toggled over to ALT-F2 and it reports that the
bindist is being extracted. I watch. When the 2nd bindist extraction is
completed the manpages are extracted.

I figure I screwed up.  So, I answer yes to delete /usr/tmp/manpage.
I then select scrdist, only.  The files are retrieved, checksum computed,
and extraction starts.  ALT-F2 reports that bindist is extracted, then
manpages, then scrdist.

It seems that if you select bindist, manpage, srcdist, XFree, and
libcompat, then bindist is extracted 5 times, manpages 4 times, srcdist
3 times, libcompat 2 times, and Xfree once.

There has to be a problem with the extract.sh

Steven G. Kargl
Applied Physics Lab

PS: All-in-all, the new installation floppies appear to be converging
to a nice piece of work.