Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:22:14 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My sendmail/NIS keeps on dying.

Bill Paul wrote:
> I could swear I wrote the other day that when people report problems
> like this they should provide lots and lots and lots of details. For
> example, is this really a 3.0-current machine, and if so, how current?
> What else is running? Are you using virtual interfaces? Is the machine
> multi-homed? Did this start all of a sudden or has it been happening
> all along?

OK - guilty to all charges. :-)

The machine is 3.0-CURRENT, and the vintage is approx 22-Dec-1996.
The ypbind complaints have been happening for a while (some months)
with (apparently) no ill effects, just logging turds. I suspect
(now that you mention it) that it may have started when I added
another loopback device (lo1).

The machine is sorta multihomed. I have 2 loopback devices - lo0
and lo1, and i intend to attach my httpd and cached to separate
IPs on lo1. So far only httpd (apache) is attached to lo1. BTW -
lo1 has 3 IPs - it is natively 127.0.0.2, and as aliases it has
two IPs of my class C. Apache has been attached for about 12 days
now. I also have an ethernet card on ed0, and a tun0 device (currently
unused but it or ppp0 will soon be my "outside" connection).

The mail problem only started in the last 24 hours. Baffling....

What else is needed?

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE