Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:16:45 -0400
From:      Norwin Malmberg <malmberg@usmd.edu>
To:        Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-RELEASE -> 4-STABLE

Charlie Watts wrote:

> I have a machine I want to upgrade from 3.3-RELEASE to 4-STABLE.
> UPDATING seems to indicate I can jump all the way to 4-STABLE, but I
> know folks have recommended a center step.
[...]
> How about if I have another -STABLE box that I can do the installworld
> from. Can I jump straight to -STABLE in that case?

I did it this way on a couple of machines, by NFS mounting /usr/src and
/usr/obj off the build machine.  I already had perl installed on the
3.3-RELEASE machine, and was able to do it without the -DNOPERL.  I did find
that I needed to manually install "zic" beforehand, as installworld uses an
option that the old "zic" does not have.

Norwin Malmberg
Technical Support
University System of Maryland
malmberg@usmd.edu