Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:55:57 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        "W.D. McKinney" <dee@akwireless.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup tape drive under 4.8 ?

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:45 , while impersonating an expert on
the internet, W.D. McKinney sent this to stdout:

> I have a nice tape drive now on our mail server. What is the
> best way to back up data as we add customers ? Seems like Bru
> and Amanda are getting bad raps now ?

Amanda is free but BRU costs money.  If you don't mind commercial
software I recommend Lone-Tar from Cactus.com.

*** This is a semi-commercial announcment ***

I have a few machines using that and each night I get an email
saying the backup has been perfomed successfully, and later on
another email indicating the tape has been rewound and it has
verified at the bit-level that the tape matches the contents of the
hard drive.

I've been using that and another commercial piece of software on
clients for years back when I used to have a lot of clients on SCO.

But the Lone-Tar is available for FreeBSD, and I 'lent' one of the
authors an SGI to compile a version for those a while back. They've
been supporting multiple Unix products for at least 10 years.

The support is great.  They also have a free demo download.

Now - here is a disclainer - I'm also a dealer for the SW - so go
to the site and take a look.  They have a fairly high list price
on the SW - but even though I don't sell much I've been a dealer
for years and get a decent discount.  So if you think you might
want this email me.

Sorry if anyone finds this too commercial as I tried to keep it
just pertinent to the discussion.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com