Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 12:53:21 -0400
From:      "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius@gmail.com>
To:        montag@activeattack.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SVN Advice

Hello Montag,

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:05 AM,  <montag@activeattack.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm seeking to set up an SVN repository on my home machine.  I've come
> across the following two guides:
>
> http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/misc/subversion.php
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2007/09/27/subversion-for-bsd-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles.html
For a quick start on Subversion you can see Dru Lavigne's articles
Setting up a Secure Subversion Server [1] and Accessing Secure
Subversion Servers [2]. They discuss how to use Subversion over ssh,
that is svn+ssh:// scheme. I myself prefer subversion over http(s) and
I have written a tutorial here [3] and more concretely here.

> The second one is certainly overkill for what I need (I just want to use
> it to manage my personal projects, since I work remotely a lot).  I'd
> definitely like a password protected web interface though.
You have two options then.

-) use subversion over http(s) and you can access your repository both
with a svn client and from a browser.
-) use whatever access scheme you want and install viewvc [5].

> My issue is
> the following.  In both guides (and in all the other ones I've come
> across) Apache is compiled with options that I did not select when I
> installed Apache a while ago.  I'd rather not have to redo everything I've
> set up with my web server.  Is there any way I get include those modules
> (namely WITH_BERKELEYDB) without having to recompile?
As far as I remember you do not need berkleydb option. Subversion
supports two backends for its repositories - BDB and FSFS. FSFS is a
file format developed by Subversion and when you create the repository
it is used by default. For a comparison between the two formats see
[6]. So you may compile Subversion with Berkley DB - you should
provide WITHOUT_BDB option or similar when you install the Subversion
port.

> Also, any advice relating to setting up Subversion on FreeBSD in general.
Well, the Subversion Book contains everything you need to set it up
and use it. And the link below should help you as well.

Regards
Rambius

[1] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/05/12/FreeBSD_Basics.html
[2] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/08/11/FreeBSD_Basics.html