Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 21:00:46 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: egcs unstable

Peter Mutsaers wrote:

> >> "MM" == Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl> writes:
>
>     MM> After (by accident) compiling world (excluding kernel) with
>     MM> optimization disabled (ie -O0) and installing the resulting
>     MM> binaries, xemacs (21.1.7) coredumps with a bus error. I
>     MM> recompiled and reinstalled xemacs and all was fine. Now, after
>     MM> building and installing world (excluding kernel again) with
>     MM> optimization (ie -O), xemacs does exactly the same: core dumps
>     MM> on bus error. I'll recompile xemacs again and expect it to be
>     MM> solved, but something is definitely broken: xemacs should not
>     MM> core dump after recompiling world with only a simple change in
>     MM> compiler flags.
>
> Are you sure this isn't a problem with xemacs itself? Reading the
> xemacs group, I read about crashes all the time on various
> platforms. It is getting worse with newer versions (the 19.x versions
> were pretty stable). Anyway I stick to good old GNU emacs (I can do
> without inline images for the time being) which is rock solid, also
> after -current 'make world's.

Very possible. I don't seem to get xemacs21 on Alpha working at the
moment (yes I know the port doesn't support it yet, but that's what I'm
fixing :-) It coredumps in xpm.

BTW: I also don't need inline images, but I find xemacs more appealing
in an X env.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/