Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:44:16 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting proper From host in Sendmail

At 10:14 AM 2.16.2003 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> Pardon me if this is OT, but it is probably an easy question for many on
>> this list.
>>
>> The problem:
>> Host on my Internal network sends out formmail replies as FROM
>> "www.thehost.com"
>>
>> QUESTION:
>> How can I make it show the replies as being from the sender -- my web forms
>> provide for picking up the "From" field.
>>
>> If I test this on my gateway/router machine, it inserts the right FROM info
>> as "sender@somewhere.net" instead of the "www".
>
>You want formmail-generated mail to go out as <sender@somewhere.net>?
>Add:
>
>MASQUERADE_AS(`somewhere.net')dnl
>
>...to your sendmail.mc (perhaps /etc/mail/freebsd.mc).  Other options,
>like masquerade_envelope, might also be required, but that's the place
>to start....
>
>-Chuck

Thanks for the reply, but that is not what I meant. I don't want the FROM
to be replaced with the machine's host name, but the FROM field of the
customer who fills in his email address in the web form. In other words,
the system isn't seeing that field and is replacing with the
"www@myhost.com". That's the only way my "vacation" program can send an
autoreply to the customer. What you suggest will just send the autoreply
back to the machine it came from.

Any other thoughts...?? Sorry if this is not clear.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net