Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:48:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XDrawString

> >My results showed that XDrawString on a 2048 character string,
> >where only 50 or so are on-screen takes much longer than the same
> >call with only the visible length supplied.
>
> This is a well-known problem. When called to investigate a dog-slow X app
> one of the first things I check for is drawing to points far off-screen.
>
> >This strikes me as a
> >rather stupid way to do things, but thats just an opinion.
>
> You are not alone in this opinion :-)
> Basically there's some nasty pathology in a clipping algorithm somewhere in
> there.

I personally expect the Xlib to imply a cliprect on the data it sends
to the X server.  I would call this an Xlib problem (unless you *know*
there is backing store and want to pan locally, in which case, you are
truly still updating the contents of a drawable, and it's *supposed*
to work that way).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---